swissnex was founded on one simple idea: we connect the dots between Switzerland and the world in education, research, innovation, and the arts. For twenty years that idea has inspired us to take-part and launch activities designed to support the outreach and active engagement of our partners in the international exchange of knowledge, ideas, and talent.
As proud as we are of our past, we also look to the future: we innovate fearlessly, guided by our core values and driven by our mission. We seek leaders and champions: join us and become part of our Communications Team and tell the compelling story of what swissnex is and does.
Role and Responsibilities
- Build and execute a Corporate Brand strategy that drives engagement in education, research, and innovation to both internal and external audiences.
- Collaborate with team members to determine a communications strategy and execute programs to deliver communications objectives throughout the organization. Guide programmatic themes to use communication strategically and effectively.
- Maintain contacts with members of the media in Switzerland and the US to set up interviews with activity leaders. Be the point of contact amongst the swissnex network’s communications teams
- Drive internal communication and special assignments.
- Train new staff on the swissnex message.
- Guide team on communications best practices.
- Have a strong focus on data, analytics, and measurement to achieve strategic goals.
Events and Activities (50%)
- Create rich and creative content including newsletters, press releases, email announcements, planned publications, blog posts, videos and special projects to be published on our website and optimize content for search engines.
- Create and launch press releases and marketing campaigns in order to fulfill the press-related components of client agreements & mandates. Manage media relations and maximize media opportunities for events and activities.
- Manage the storytelling (key messages) throughout all swissnex activities. Oversee all branded materials (print + digital) for events and activities. Identify and engage diverse audiences across all channels in promoting events and activities.
- Spotlight swissnex expertise and potential expertise (seed future interest) to drive further events and activities.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- BA/ BS; MA/ MS communications or a related degree in science communication, public relations, journalism, marketing, English, international relations, government OR equivalent work experience
- Experience abroad preferred (studies or work experience)
- Have prior communications experience in either a leadership capacity or at least two distinct communications/marketing/PR roles in any of the following organizations:
– Bilateral or multilateral international institutions
– Nonprofit organization or government
– Start-up or small digital agency
- Experience with content management/creation
- Experience with outreach and engagement to diverse audiences
- Excellent communication and writing skills in English
- Second language preferred: German or French
- Superior ability to deliver engaging content with a short turn out for any medium (press, our website and social channels)
- At ease with writing about any subject matter in the fields of science, technology, art/design
- Proficiency in sound recording, video editing, Adobe Suite
- Hands-on experience with website management (publish, updates)
- Proven experience with teams and project management
Ability to think through problems from a fresh point of view and comfort with ambiguity and complexity. Willingness to challenge the “status quo.” Curiosity and passion for ideas. Love of learning. The successful candidate is passionate about telling our multi-faced stories, asking questions, and has a genuine interest in our topics.
Responds resourcefully, flexibly, and positively when faced with new challenges, transitions, and demands. Willingly and effectively deals with the stress and complexities of various situations. Moves forward productively and optimistically under conditions of change and uncertainty.
Establishes and maintains strong relationships internally and externally. Relates well to management, colleagues, peers, and direct reports. Champions a caring culture of respect, diversity, and inclusion that values the unique talents, ideas, and experiences of all employees. Earns the respect of others through effective interpersonal skills, integrity, compassion, and authenticity.
Models and promotes collaboration and works effectively with others across the organization to achieve goals and global opportunities. Demonstrates proficient cross-company communication, cultural sensitivity, and partnership in interactions with others. Involves others in decisions and plans and credits them for their contributions and accomplishments.
- A full-time position; start date as January 1, 2020 or by arrangement
- Compensation commensurate with experience and responsibilities in a non-profit setting (DOE)
- 4-week vacation, generous holidays and sick leave
- Competitive benefits package including: Employer-matched 401(K), and 65%, 80% or 85% employer-paid medical and dental plans (depending on the options)
- Continuing education possibilities and a platform to grow your skills, professional experience, and network
- A multicultural, creative, inspiring, stimulating and team-oriented work environment with unlimited coffee and lots of Swiss chocolate
If you are interested in applying for this role, please complete and submit the application below, along with your resume and a cover letter elaborating on your interest in the position and why you would make a strong candidate.