swissnex Boston is looking for a strategic, creative, and well-connected individual to serve as our Head of Startup and Innovation Services. If you are driven, have a passion for innovation and the natural ability to spark meaningful connections, we want to hear from you.
swissnex Boston creates opportunities for researchers, entrepreneurs, artists, designers, and other future-makers to expand their reach and make meaningful, collaborative connections with the top innovators in Switzerland and North America. Our mission is to support the visibility of Swiss institutions and individuals and to bring the very best in Swiss tech, research, art, and design to the US and Canada. Our activities include:
- Working closely with universities and research labs to promote global exchange and collaboration through events, partnerships and network-building
- Accelerating startups and assisting entrepreneurs in entering the North American market
- Advising corporations, non-profits and international organizations on market trends and best practices
- Collaborating with artists and designers on innovative projects at the intersection of art and science
- Supporting Swiss innovators and thought leaders in expanding their North American presence
With offices in Boston and New York, we are part of the swissnex Global Network, an initiative of Switzerland’s State Secretariat for Education, Research and Innovation with locations in Brazil, China, India and San Francisco. Forward-looking by design, we scan broadly for trends and “signals from the future” to inspire people and organizations to prepare for the challenges of tomorrow. Our biggest impact stems from projects that are truly multidisciplinary and bring together actors who don’t normally cross paths, much less collaborate.
Startup and Innovation Services
swissnex’s relevance depends on its capacity to observe and analyze trends across disciplines like science, higher education, art and innovation. The scouted information feeds, on the one hand, all of swissnex’s activities, and on the other is translated into meaningful and actionable research and output for its clients and stakeholders (“Innovation Services”). Formats include reporting, seminars, public events, discovery expeditions, strategic partnerships and more, all the way to hosting client’s innovation outposts within swissnex and working synergistically with them.
Startup Services include several initiatives targeting Switzerland’s startup ecosystem, fostering its competitivity and internationalization. A wide range of actors create this ecosystem: from entrepreneurially minded students to university spin-offs to seasoned serial entrepreneurs to investors, from publicly supported initiatives to private ventures including all types of incubation and acceleration platforms, as well as service providers.
Devise and implement strategies to strengthen and diversify swissnex’s portfolio of Startup and Innovation Services, and their synergies with swissnex’s other core activities (Academic Relations, Art x Science, Communication). This includes:
- Deliver superior services to existing clients;
- Foster and develop networks and relationships in the Swiss and US “innovation economies” with a focus on entrepreneurship, science & technology and innovation;
- Research and report on innovation-related topics of interest to swissnex and its stakeholders. Facilitate knowledge transfer between Switzerland and North America. Translate acquired knowledge into expertise to strengthen swissnex’s services, relevance and visibility;
- Assist Swiss entrepreneurs and accelerate Swiss startups interested in North America with targeted programs and services;
- Build and grow relationships with top Swiss corporations to engage in services like scouting, (open) innovation, transformation processes, partnership development, outposts, and more.
- MA/MS degree in Science/Engineering or Business/Economics (or equivalents) and strong competencies in the other;
- 2-6 years of professional experience in fields related to entrepreneurship and innovation;
- Superior knowledge of and networks in the Swiss and US startup and innovation ecosystems;
- Team-player with a high sense of responsibility, curiosity and interest for a wide range of topics. Forward-thinking, flexible and self-starter;
- Strong organizational skills with a proactive, hands-on and pragmatic attitude. Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment with serious attention to detail and a commitment to excellence;
- Networker with the ability to thrive in an international, multicultural and interdisciplinary environment. Professional appearance and demeanor for the many contacts with high level individuals from a wide variety of backgrounds, positions, ranks and responsibilities;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Excellent command of both written and spoken English. Knowledge of at least one Swiss national language is a major plus;
- Ability to work outside regular office hours when needed, mainly for events and visiting groups.
- A strong enthusiasm for the swissnex mission!
Note: due to our consular status, candidates already living in the US must be either citizens or permanent residents (green card holders). No exceptions.
What We Offer
- A full-time position; start date as soon as possible;
- Compensation commensurate with experience and responsibilities in a non-profit setting (DOE)
- 4-week vacation, generous holidays and sick leave;
- Competitive benefits package including: Employer-matched 401(K), and 65%, 80% or 85% employer-paid medical and dental plans (depending on the options);
- Continuing education possibilities and a platform to grow your leadership skills, professional experience, and network;
- A multicultural, creative, inspiring, and team-oriented work environment with unlimited coffee and lots of Swiss chocolate;
- A Cambridge, Massachusetts location near Harvard Square.
Deadline to apply: open until filled
If you are interested in applying for the role of Head of Startup and Innovation Services, please complete and submit the application below, along with your resume and a cover letter elaborating on your interest in the position and why you would make a strong candidate.
Posted on 1/14/2019