swissnex was founded on one simple idea: we connect the dots between Switzerland and the world in education, research, innovation, and the arts. For twenty years that idea has inspired us to take-part in and launch activities designed to support the outreach and active engagement of our partners in the international exchange of knowledge, ideas, and talents.
As proud as we are of our past, we look to the future: we innovate fearlessly, guided by our core values and driven by our mission. We seek leaders and champions to generate collectively the very best outcomes. The Operations & Events manager has a central role and makes sure everything works, seamlessly … and with a wow factor.
Roles and Responsibilities
EVENT LOGISTICS (40%)
- In coordination with swissnex project managers and/or external clients, ensure event logistics & production, smooth operations and flawless technology for dozens of onsite and offsite activities per year. This may include outsourcing certain tasks and hiring additional staffing
- Maintain all event-related equipment, systems, facilities, and inventories
- Assess and optimize organizational capacity for all types of activities and events, including developing and implementing a strategy to increase number of “hosted events” with partners
- Ensure a warm welcome for all visitors and follow visitor registration protocols
- Maintain elegance and order in all our shared spaces, including the reception area, conference rooms, social spaces, and kitchen
- Assist with maintaining accurate and up-to-date records in our contacts database
- Support the onboarding and welcoming experience of new team and community members (incl. documentation, handbooks, processes, evaluation)
- Act as the first point of contact for community inquiries and redirect to the appropriate staff members
- Contribute to workplace innovation projects and their implementation
- Coordinate with matters related to the building: Floorplans & other facilities information; Maintenance, renovations & construction; Systems like electrical, plumbing, HVAC, safety & security, lighting; Equipment like kitchen, bathrooms, furniture, storage, archives, tools; Signage, plants, look & feel; Supplies; etc.
- Manage the Tech Systems: audio-visual equipment; phones; IT hardware (computers, peripherals, wifi, servers, etc.) and software (CRM, calendars, visitor check-in, etc.), in cooperation with outsourced Managed IT Service Provider
- Coordinate with external services: utilities, cleaning, waste management, security, construction, etc.
- Check on accuracy and up to date protocols of safety documents, security and crisis management (includes being on call 24/7 for alarm monitoring)
- Ensure that processes, procedures and documentation are respected, assist with any improvement projects (on-going)
ADMINISTRATION & ACCOUNTING (10%)
- Provide administrative support to the CEO and deputy CEO
- Make payments and enter in the bookkeeping system
- Help with general office tasks, including data entry and maintenance in the CRM and file server, calendaring and scheduling, mail & shipping, etc.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- BA/ BS; MA/ MS hospitality or a related degree in event management, tourism, international relations, government OR equivalent work experience
- Experience abroad preferred (studies or work experience)
- Have prior experience in either a leadership capacity, or at least one distinct role sin any of the following organizations:
- Bilateral or multilateral international institutions
- Nonprofit organization or government
- Start-up or small digital agency
- Experience with event planning and hospitality or logistic management
- Excellent communication and writing skills in English
- Second language preferred: German or French
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills with a proactive, hands-on and pragmatic attitude. Willingness to roll-up your sleeves to ensure successful operations
- Able to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment with serious attention to detail and cost effectiveness, and a commitment to excellence.
- Capable of thinking fast on your feet in sometimes stressful situations, and responding quickly and professionally to the unexpected
- At ease with basic IT and other office technology management. Strong computer skills (MS Office, GoogleApps, Zoho, etc.)
- Proven experience with teams and project management
Ability to think through problems from a fresh point of view and comfort with ambiguity and complexity. Willingness to challenge the “status quo.” Curiosity and passion for ideas. Love of learning. The successful team member has a genuine interest in our topics, and is passionate about asking questions, sensing weak signals, connecting people and knowledge.
Responds resourcefully, flexibly, and positively when faced with new challenges, transitions, and demands. Willingly and effectively deals with the stress and the complexities of various situations. Moves forward productively and optimistically under conditions of change and uncertainty.
Establishes and maintains strong, open, and trusting relationships internally and externally. Relates well to management, colleagues, peers, and direct reports. Champions a caring culture of respect, diversity, and inclusion that values the unique talents, ideas, and experiences of all employees. Earns the respect of others through effective interpersonal skills, integrity, reliability, empathy, and authenticity.
Models and promotes collaboration and works effectively with others across the organization to achieve goals and global opportunities. Demonstrates proficient cross-organization communication, cultural sensitivity, and partnership in interactions with others. Involves others in decisions and plans and credits them for their contributions and accomplishments.
Generates and champions new ideas, approaches, and initiatives, and creates an environment that nurtures and supports innovation. Leverages knowledge and best practices, fresh perspectives, breakthrough ideas, and new paradigms to create value. Encourages new ways of looking at problems, processes, or solutions.
Results orientated. Sets challenging yet achievable goals; pursues them persistently, overcomes obstacles while focusing on meeting or exceeding these goals. Plans out work, organizes resources and monitors progress. Has a strong desire for swissnex, own team, and self to succeed.
- A full-time position; start date as January 1, 2020 or by arrangement
- Compensation commensurate with experience and responsibilities in a non-profit setting (DOE)
- 4-week vacation, generous holidays and sick leave
- Competitive benefits package including: Employer-matched 401(K), and 65%, 80% or 85% employer-paid medical and dental plans (depending on the options)
- Continuing education possibilities and a platform to grow your skills, professional experience, and network
- A multicultural, creative, inspiring, stimulating and team-oriented work environment with unlimited coffee and lots of Swiss chocolate
If you are interested in applying for this role, please complete and submit the application below, along with your resume and a cover letter elaborating on your interest in the position and why you would make a strong candidate.