swissnex Boston is looking for a customer-driven, multi-skilled individual to serve as our Operations & Events Production Manager. If you are passionate about making things work, creating great customer experiences and supporting a dynamic team, we want to hear from you.
swissnex Boston creates opportunities for researchers, entrepreneurs, artists, designers, and other future-makers to expand their reach and make meaningful, collaborative connections with the top innovators in Switzerland and North America. Our mission is to support the visibility of Swiss institutions and individuals and to bring the very best in Swiss tech, research, art, and design to the US and Canada. Our activities include:
- Working closely with universities and research labs to promote global exchange and collaboration through events, partnerships and network-building
- Accelerating startups and assisting entrepreneurs in entering the North American market
- Advising corporations, non-profits and international organizations on market trends and best practices
- Collaborating with artists and designers on innovative projects at the intersection of art and science
- Supporting Swiss innovators and thought leaders in expanding their North American presence
With offices in Boston and New York, we are part of the swissnex Global Network, an initiative of Switzerland’s State Secretariat for Education, Research and Innovation with locations in Brazil, China, India and San Francisco. Forward-looking by design, we scan broadly for trends and “signals from the future” to inspire people and organizations to prepare for the challenges of tomorrow. Our biggest impact stems from projects that are truly multidisciplinary and bring together actors who don’t normally cross paths, much less collaborate.
The Operations & Events Production Manager is central in supporting swissnex, its team and its core activities (Academic Relations, Startups & Innovation, Art x Science, Communication). His/her responsibilities include :
EVENT LOGISTICS & PRODUCTION
- In partnership with swissnex project managers and/or external clients, ensure event logistics & production, smooth operations and flawless technology for dozens of onsite and offsite activities per year. This may include outsourcing certain tasks and hiring additional staffing
- Maintain all event-related equipment, systems, facilities, and inventories
- Assess and optimize organizational capacity for all types of activities and events, including developing and implementing a strategy to increase the number of “hosted events” with partners
- Ensure a warm welcome for all visitors and follow visitor registration protocols
- Maintain elegance and order in all our shared spaces, including the reception area, conference rooms, social spaces, and kitchen
- Assist with maintaining accurate and up-to-date records in our contacts database
- Support the onboarding and welcoming experience of new team and community members (incl. documentation, handbooks, processes, evaluation)
- Act as the first point of contact for community inquiries and redirect to the appropriate staff members
Contribute to workplace innovation projects and their implementation
- Building : Floorplans & other facilities information; Maintenance, renovations & construction; Systems like electrical, plumbing, HVAC, safety & security, lighting; Maintenance of kitchen, bathrooms, furniture, storage, archives, tools; Signage, plants, look & feel; Supplies; etc.
- Tech Systems : audio-visual equipment; phones; IT hardware (computers, peripherals, wifi, servers, etc.) and software (CRM, calendars, visitor check-in, etc.), in cooperation with outsourced Managed IT Service Provider
- External Services : utilities, cleaning, waste management, security, construction, etc.
- Safety, security and crisis management (includes being on call 24/7 for alarm monitoring)
- Processes, procedures and documentation. Space improvement projects (on-going)
OFFICE AND CEO SUPPORT
- Provide administrative support to the CEO and deputy CEO
- Assist Head of Finance with payments and data entries
- Help with general office tasks, including data entry and maintenance in the CRM and file server, calendaring and scheduling, mail & shipping, etc.
- Associate degree or higher, or equivalent work experience
- 2-3 years of professional experience in related fields and similarly sized organizations
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills with a proactive, hands-on and pragmatic attitude. Willingness to roll-up your sleeves to ensure successful operations
- Able to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment with serious attention to detail and cost effectiveness, and a commitment to excellence. Capable of thinking fast on your feet in sometimes stressful situations, and responding quickly and professionally to the unexpected
- Team-player with a high sense of responsibility, able to take direction. Highly self-motivated, open-minded and flexible
- At ease with basic IT and other office technology management. Strong computer skills (MS Office, GoogleApps, Zoho, etc.)
- Thriving in an international, multicultural and interdisciplinary environment.
- Professional appearance and demeanor for the many contacts with high level individuals from a wide variety of backgrounds, positions, ranks and responsibilities
- Fluency in both written and spoken English. Knowledge of at least one Swiss national language is a major plus
- Availability to work outside regular office hours when needed, mainly for events and visiting groups
- Comfortable with occasional physical work necessary for event and exhibit setup
- A strong enthusiasm for the swissnex mission!
Note: due to our consular status, candidates already living in the US must be either citizens or permanent residents (green card holders). No exceptions.
What We Offer
- A full-time position; start date as April 1, 2019 or by arrangement
- Compensation commensurate with experience and responsibilities in a non-profit setting (DOE)
- 4-week vacation, generous holidays and sick leaveCompetitive benefits package including: Employer-matched 401(K), and
- 65%, 80% or 85% employer-paid medical and dental plans (depending on the options)
- Continuing education possibilities and a platform to grow your skills, professional experience, and network
- A multicultural, creative, inspiring, stimulating and team-oriented work environment with unlimited coffee and lots of Swiss chocolate
- A Cambridge, Massachusetts location near Harvard Square
Deadline to apply: open until filled
If you are interested in applying for the role of Operations & Events Production Manager, please complete and submit the application below, along with your resume and a cover letter elaborating on your interest in the position and why you would make a strong candidate.